Natadera has its principal deities the Eleven-headed Thousand-Armed Kannon(Sanskrit:Avalokitesvara), the Hakusan Myori-daigongen(Engulish:the Supreme Power of Hakusan), and the natural rocky mountain caves, has worshipped both gods and Buddha from it's beginnings.
The main shrine line within the rocky caves. From ancient times, it was considered a place where the souls of men underwent transmigration(Skt: samsara), as well as a place for the regeneration of the Shinto purification ritual, a sacred ground of the mothers womb, and a natural dojo(Skt:bodhi-manda, English translation:the platform of enlightment, a place where one holds the teaching of nature to be important, and where one's heart can be healed.
Taicho brought the teachings of Jinenchi from the heart of the Yoshino mountains,
and founded the temple in the beginning of the Nara Period, in the first year
of the Yoro Era(717 C.E.), calling it Iwaya-dera.
The name was changed to Natadera by the emperor kazan, who ruled during the Heian Period. In his later years, Kazan often stayed at the Heian Period. In his later years, Kazan often stayed at the temple, and designed the gardens to resemble the Bodaraku mountain of the Pure Land on which lives Kannon(Skt:Sukhavati.)
In the middle ages, the temples buildings were completely destroyed by fires
due to wars. Most of the buildings that stand now date back to the
17th year of the Kan‐ei Era(1640 C.E)in the Edo Period, and were made possible by contributions from the Daimyo(Feudal Lord)of the Kaga Clan, Maeda Toshitsune. The seven buildings are now designated as Important National Cultural Properties, and as official scenic parks.
For those who wish to learn about Natadera in more detail, please choose In-Depth, and those who wish to learn more about Taicho, please choose Taicho. If you wish to return to the main menu, please choose Main.